Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dyslexic Writer: Tribute to a local Bookstore

I love in a small town in Indiana. Today was a sad day. Our last local bookstore closed after struggling along for years. Those of us who loved it bought all our books, yard, magazines, jewelry, whatever they sold that we needed. We held our writing meetings there, our book club meetings. It is as if our best friend has died.
Here is the message I sent them.
I figured something was up, but not so soon. It is good news for you and I will miss Danners. It was more than a bookstore. It was a meeting place, The atmosphere, the discussions, the groups, just buying a book you met everyone who was anyone in Muncie. And the wonderful conversation you had just looking and buying a book. It reminded me of how Ben Franklin had his printing press business. All the neighborhood, customers, politicians stopped in to talk and debate issues. Which is what we did at Danner's. We could keep abreast of the latest news, gossip, not bad gossip, good news kind. Who was going what. Exciting things.
Quakers have a term for what happens at Danner's. Gathering. It was indeed a Gathering. In a Gathering, we Quakers Gather to share our visions of Spirit, life, pain and sorrow. Then we listen to each other, advise each other. That was what Danner's was to me, and most of my friends and groups that I was in.
No matter what I needed know, what I could not find in the library, you could just call Danner's and Susan, Dottie or Moth, (Jennifer) knew. Once at the library I was looking for a book. I had the information, title, author, etc. and the library couldn't find it. I called Danner's to see if I had the information correct. I sure did. I retold the person working the desk. She finally found it and then said it was never returned. It was The Elegant Universe. Danner's had the information in 18 seconds and I ordered the book. It's the greatest book on the universe.
So congratulations on retirement. My heart is breaking. I think we need a wake. And I know you three need a rest to read, to knit and visit family. Maybe Disneyworld. Much love and success and happiness. I love you all. Sherita
Let us all hold this shrine to books, writing, gathering, visiting in the Light and have an hour of silence and mediation for them and for all local bookstores and busines. Than you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home